Joined
Jul 2, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
40
I’m looking for a reliable video editing opportunity that I can do online to earn some extra income.

I have basic editing skills and I’m interested in improving them while taking on simple projects like short videos, reels, YouTube videos, or social media content.

For those already doing video editing for clients, where do you usually find work? Are there any good platforms, communities, or methods you recommend for getting started?

Any genuine advice or experience would be appreciated.
 
I’d start with small projects like reels and short-form videos. They’re easier to finish and can help you build a portfolio quickly. Upwork and Fiverr are worth checking, but don’t ignore Facebook groups and LinkedIn.
 
When I started editing, I focused more on building a small portfolio than trying to find high-paying clients immediately. Even 5–10 good sample edits can make a big difference when approaching potential clients.
 
Try reaching out to small YouTubers and Instagram creators directly. A lot of them need regular editing but can’t afford a full-time editor. Send a short message with a sample of your work instead of just saying you’re available.
 
Upwork can be useful for beginners, although you’ll probably need some patience at first. Look for smaller jobs where the client has clear requirements. After getting a few reviews, finding work becomes easier.
 
I’d recommend learning CapCut or DaVinci Resolve really well before jumping into complicated software. For reels, shorts, and social media videos, basic cuts, captions, transitions, and good pacing are already valuable skills.
 
One thing that helped me was creating sample videos even when I didn’t have clients. Pick a public video and make your own short edit from it. That gives you something to show when applying for your first jobs.
 
Don’t limit yourself to freelance websites. Local businesses, coaches, real estate agents, restaurants, and small creators often need social media videos. Contacting them directly can sometimes work better than competing with hundreds of freelancers.
 
Fiverr is one option, but it can take time to get the first order. I’d create a very specific service instead of offering “all types of video editing.” Something like “I will edit Instagram reels with captions” is easier for clients to understand.
 
LinkedIn is actually underrated for this. Search for content creators, marketing agencies, podcast owners, and small businesses. Comment on their posts and build some genuine interaction before pitching your services.
 
If you’re only looking for extra income, I’d start with short-form content. Reels and Shorts usually have a simpler workflow, and clients often need several videos every week. That can turn into recurring work.
 
Don’t underestimate local businesses. A gym, restaurant, real estate agent, or salon may need someone to turn their phone footage into decent social media videos.
 
Back
Top