Joined
Jul 1, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
79
I’m thinking about starting freelancing and want to turn one of my existing skills into a proper service.
My plan is to create a small portfolio, start reaching out to potential clients, and take on smaller projects initially.
I’m also considering platforms like Upwork and Fiverr, but I’m curious whether direct outreach works better for beginners.
If you’ve started freelancing from scratch, what was the first thing you did that actually helped you land a client?
 
When I started freelancing, I spent way too much time building my portfolio and almost no time looking for clients. My first client actually came from a simple message to someone who needed the exact skill I was offering.
 
The first thing that actually helped me was choosing a very specific service. Instead of saying “I do digital marketing,” I offered one clear service with a defined outcome. It made conversations much easier.
 
My experience has been that one good client can lead to several others through referrals, so I always try to finish every project as professionally as possible.
 
Platforms are useful for beginners because they give you access to existing demand, but direct outreach can be valuable once you understand who your ideal clients are.
 
As a beginner, I’d probably try both Upwork and direct outreach instead of depending completely on one platform.
 
My first freelance job came from a friend who knew I was trying to get started. It wasn't a big project, but completing it gave me something real to show future clients.
 
I started on Upwork with no reviews, so getting responses was difficult. What helped me most was applying for smaller jobs where the client had a very specific requirement that matched my skills.
 
Fiverr took longer for me because I had no reviews initially. I eventually got my first order after making the service description much clearer and showing exactly what the buyer would receive.
 
I tried direct outreach after getting frustrated with crowded freelance platforms. Surprisingly, one personalized email turned into a small project. That first client gave me enough confidence to keep doing outreach.
 
My first mistake was trying to offer too many services. Once I narrowed my profile down to one specific skill, people understood what I actually did and conversations became easier.
 
I created three sample projects before contacting anyone. They weren't from real clients, but they demonstrated what I could do. That portfolio helped me answer the “Do you have examples?” question immediately.
 
I remember sending dozens of proposals without getting a response. Then I stopped talking so much about myself and started explaining how I would solve the client's specific problem. My response rate improved after that.
 
My first client came from LinkedIn rather than a freelancing platform. I found a small business whose website needed help and sent a short, personalized message. They replied and asked about my pricing.
 
I started by taking smaller jobs that other freelancers probably considered boring. Those projects weren't highly paid, but they helped me collect testimonials and build confidence.
 
I didn't have a portfolio when I started, so I created mock examples based on realistic client problems. Once I had something visual to show, potential clients took me more seriously.
 
I made the mistake of creating articles for every keyword I could find. Many of them were too similar. Now I prefer to combine related keywords into stronger pages when it makes sense.
 
Back
Top