Joined
Jul 1, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
39
Joining an affiliate program can look easy at first. You sign up, get your links, and start promoting. But not every program is actually worth your time.

Before joining, I usually check a few important things:

1. Commission structure
Look at how much you actually earn per sale or lead. A high commission percentage doesn’t always mean higher earnings.

2. Cookie duration
Check how long the affiliate cookie lasts. A longer tracking period can make a big difference, especially for products that take time to purchase.

3. Payment terms
Find out the minimum payout, payment methods, payment schedule, and whether there are any unexpected fees.

4. Product quality
Don’t promote something just because the commission is attractive. If the product is poor, it can hurt your audience’s trust.

5. Refund and cancellation rules
Some programs reverse commissions when customers request refunds. Make sure you understand how this is handled.

6. Tracking and reporting
A good affiliate program should provide clear information about clicks, conversions, commissions, and payouts.

7. Program rules
Read the terms before promoting. Some programs have strict rules about paid ads, email marketing, coupon sites, brand bidding, or social media promotion.

The main thing is to look beyond the commission rate. A reliable program with good products, fair tracking, clear terms, and consistent payments is usually much better than a program simply offering a big commission.

What’s one thing you always check before joining an affiliate program?
 
For me, payment terms are a big one. A good commission doesn’t mean much if getting paid is difficult.
 
I always check the cookie duration first. If the buying process is longer, a short cookie can really reduce the value of the program.
 
Product quality is probably the most important thing for me. I’d rather promote something with a lower commission that I actually trust than push a product just because it pays more.
 
I usually look at the refund policy before anything else. Reversed commissions can be frustrating if you don’t understand the rules beforehand.
 
Good points. I also check how often affiliates are paid because cash flow can matter a lot when you’re doing this consistently.
 
I agree that commission percentage can be misleading. A 10% commission on a product that converts well can easily be better than 40% on something nobody wants.
 
Tracking is a big one for me. If the reporting isn’t clear, I don’t feel comfortable promoting the offer.
 
I always read the affiliate terms before starting. Especially the rules around paid advertising and brand keywords.
 
I’ve had better results when I genuinely understand the product before recommending it. Writing about something you actually know is much easier than trying to make an unfamiliar offer sound convincing.
 
One thing I’ve learned is not to rush into a program just because the commission looks attractive. I check the product, reputation, payment history, cookie period, and especially the restrictions on promotion. It saves a lot of headaches later.
 
Back
Top