For anyone just starting out, I'd recommend focusing on one traffic source first instead of trying to master everything at once.
 
Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with different affiliate campaigns recently, and one thing I've realized is that the highest-paying offer isn't always the one that makes the most money. Sometimes an offer with a smaller commission converts much better, which ends up generating higher overall revenue.

I thought I'd share a few observations and see if others here have noticed the same thing.

CPA Offers​

CPA (Cost Per Action) offers have always been one of my favorites because they're available in almost every niche. Depending on the campaign, users might only need to sign up, install an app, complete a registration, or make a purchase.

I've found that CPA offers usually perform best when the landing page is simple and the required action doesn't ask too much from the visitor. If the process takes only a minute or two, conversion rates are often much higher.

PPL Campaigns​

Pay Per Lead campaigns seem to work especially well when targeting people who are already searching for a solution.

Things like insurance quotes, loan inquiries, business services, or educational programs can convert surprisingly well because visitors only need to submit their details rather than buy something immediately.

The payout might be lower than some CPA offers, but the conversion rate can easily make up for it.

PPA Offers​

Pay Per Appointment campaigns are a little different. They're popular in industries where customers usually schedule a consultation before making a purchase.

I've seen these offers used for healthcare, legal services, home improvement, and financial consulting.

Although appointments can be harder to generate, they often pay more because they're considered high-quality leads.

The Biggest Lesson I've Learned​

One mistake I made early on was chasing the highest commission without looking at the conversion rate.

A $5 offer that converts at 15% can often earn much more than a $40 offer that only converts at 1%.

Now I spend more time looking at metrics like:

  • Conversion Rate
  • EPC (Earnings Per Click)
  • Approval Rate
  • Traffic Quality
  • Return on Investment
Those numbers tell a much better story than commission size alone.

Traffic Source Makes a Huge Difference​

I've also noticed that an offer's performance depends heavily on where the traffic comes from.

For example:

  • SEO traffic usually converts well because visitors are actively searching for information.
  • Email marketing works well with audiences that already trust the sender.
  • Paid ads can scale quickly, but targeting has to be accurate.
  • Social media traffic often performs best when the content provides value before promoting an offer.
The same campaign can produce completely different results depending on the audience.

Don't Ignore the Landing Page​

Instead of sending visitors directly to an affiliate offer, I've had much better results using a simple landing page first.

A landing page can explain the benefits, answer common questions, build trust, and prepare visitors before they reach the advertiser's page.

Even small improvements like a better headline or a clearer call-to-action can noticeably improve conversions.

Testing Is More Important Than Guessing​

Every audience behaves differently, so I don't think there's a single "best" CPA, PPL, or PPA offer for everyone.

The marketers who seem to do well are constantly testing:

  • Different creatives
  • Different traffic sources
  • Different landing pages
  • Mobile vs. desktop traffic
  • Geographic targeting
  • Various affiliate networks
Sometimes a small change can double the conversion rate.

Final Thoughts​

For me, the highest-converting offers are usually the ones that match the audience's intent rather than simply offering the biggest payout. Understanding who you're targeting, providing useful content, and continuously optimizing campaigns has made a much bigger difference than switching from one affiliate network to another.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else is seeing. Are CPA offers still your best performers, or have PPL or PPA campaigns been producing better results lately? Feel free to share your experiences, favourite niches, or any tips that have helped improve your conversions.
great great points and to be remembered to be
 
One campaign completely changed after I optimized it for mobile users. It's amazing how much difference a responsive page can make.
 
I've had decent success with software and productivity tools lately. Users seem more willing to try free versions before committing.
 
A few months ago, I was convinced paid traffic was the answer to everything. I burned through a small budget without seeing much return. Then I wrote a couple of SEO articles around a PPL offer, and those pages are still generating leads today.
 
I remember promoting a finance offer that looked perfect on paper. The commission was excellent, but hardly anyone completed the form. Later I tried a simpler lead generation offer with half the payout, and it outperformed the first one by a wide margin.
 
I've noticed visitors are more likely to convert when the content answers their questions first instead of immediately promoting the product.
 
I think traffic quality is the biggest factor. The exact same offer performed poorly on paid ads but did really well with organic SEO traffic.
Good point, traffic quality can completely change how an offer performs.
Finance CPA offers have worked well for me, but they require very targeted traffic. Sending random visitors usually leads to disappointing results.
That’s true, finance offers usually need a very specific audience to work properly.
Most of my conversions come from content marketing rather than paid advertising. It takes longer, but the leads are usually higher quality.
Content traffic can take longer, but the audience intent can be much stronger.
Landing pages definitely matter. Direct linking rarely performs as well for me compared to a simple review or comparison page.
Agreed, a simple comparison page can sometimes prepare the visitor much better.
I've found that testing different headlines can improve conversions more than changing the actual affiliate offer.
Good point, sometimes improving the message can have a bigger impact than changing the offer.
The biggest improvement in my campaigns came from improving page speed. Faster landing pages noticeably increased my conversion rates.
Page speed is easy to overlook, but even small improvements can make the user experience better.
I prefer evergreen niches because they continue generating traffic throughout the year instead of depending on seasonal trends.
Evergreen niches can be useful when you want traffic that is less dependent on seasonal demand.
SEO still works well for me. It takes patience, but once rankings improve, the traffic converts consistently.
SEO is still useful for building steady traffic, though it definitely takes patience.
 
I spent weeks comparing affiliate networks because I thought the network was my problem. Eventually I realized the issue was my traffic. Once I targeted a more relevant audience, even the same offer started converting better.
 
The biggest improvement in my campaigns came after I started reviewing analytics every week instead of just checking commissions.
 
One lesson I learned was not to judge an offer too quickly. I almost gave up on one campaign after the first week. I changed the landing page headline, and conversions slowly started picking up.
 
Back
Top