Backlinks are probably where I would be most careful. There are freelancers who advertise huge numbers of links at very cheap prices, but quantity doesn't automatically mean quality. I would rather have a smaller number of genuinely relevant links from legitimate websites than thousands of unrelated links created simply to increase a backlink count.
 
I hired an SEO freelancer once and initially focused too much on their ranking screenshots. Later I realized that screenshots don't tell the whole story. Some of the keywords had very little commercial value. Now I look more closely at organic traffic, keyword intent, conversions, the actual pages ranking, and whether the strategy makes sense for the business.
 
Another thing people should ask about is ownership. Make sure you know what happens to the content, accounts, reports, backlinks, and other assets if you stop working with the freelancer. You don't want your entire SEO setup depending on accounts or tools that only the freelancer can access.
 
I agree with the point about looking at the website as a whole. Sometimes the problem isn't a lack of backlinks at all. It could be poor site architecture, pages competing with each other, indexing problems, thin content, weak internal links, or simply targeting keywords that don't match what users are searching for. A good audit should uncover that before link building begins.
 
I agree. I would first check if the freelancer really understands SEO instead of choosing someone based only on a cheap price.
 
For me, one of the best signs is when an SEO freelancer asks questions about the business before discussing keywords. Who are your customers? What products or services make the most money? Which locations do you serve? What makes you different from competitors? Those questions show they're trying to connect SEO with actual business goals instead of treating it as a numbers game.
 
I’d also compare freelancers based on how they explain problems, not just their price. Two people can offer the same monthly package, but one might give you a detailed strategy while the other gives you a generic list of tasks. SEO is too important to choose purely based on who offers the cheapest monthly rate.
 
The first freelancer I hired taught me an important lesson: communication matters almost as much as technical knowledge. Even if someone is good at SEO, it becomes frustrating if they cannot explain what they are doing or why certain changes are necessary.
That’s very true, clear communication would make the whole SEO process much easier for me.
I completely agree about high-volume keywords. I’ve seen websites attract plenty of search traffic but generate almost no business from it. Search intent is much more important than simply chasing big numbers in a keyword tool.
Exactly, search intent should matter more than simply getting lots of traffic.
I always ask freelancers what they would fix first. Their answer usually tells me whether they actually understand SEO or are just trying to sell a backlink package.
That’s a useful question, I’ll definitely ask what they would fix first before hiring them.
I agree about search intent. Getting visitors is not enough if those visitors are not interested in the product or service.
Very true, the right visitors are much more useful than simply increasing traffic numbers.
I’ve noticed that good SEO freelancers usually ask quite a few questions before giving recommendations. They want to understand the business, customers, competitors, products, and goals instead of treating every website the same way.
I agree, understanding the business and goals first should lead to a much better SEO strategy.
When interviewing freelancers, I would ask them to review one or two pages from the website and explain what they would change. You don't need them to provide a complete free SEO audit. Even a short discussion can show whether they understand things like search intent, page structure, content quality, internal linking, metadata, and topical relevance.
That’s a great idea, a small page review could tell me a lot about their SEO knowledge.
One question I always like asking is, “What would you work on during the first 30 days?” The answer can reveal a lot. A serious SEO freelancer will usually talk about auditing the site, fixing important technical issues, reviewing existing content, understanding search intent, checking competitors, and building a realistic roadmap. Someone who only says “I’ll create 500 backlinks” probably isn’t looking at the bigger picture.
I really like that approach, asking about the first 30 days could reveal how they actually think about SEO.
I think a good freelancer should be comfortable telling you that SEO will take time. If someone says they can guarantee first position on Google in two weeks, that would immediately be a red flag for me.
Absolutely, I’d be careful with anyone promising first-page rankings in just a couple of weeks.
Another thing I would check is whether their previous work is relevant to your industry. Someone may have excellent results in one niche but struggle in another. I’d rather see a freelancer who understands the type of audience and search behavior my website deals with.
Good point, relevant experience in my industry would definitely make me more confident.
 
One thing I check is whether the freelancer talks about competitors. Keyword difficulty doesn't exist in isolation. Looking at the sites already ranking can reveal what kind of content, authority, structure, and depth Google seems to expect for that particular topic.
 
One thing I check is whether the freelancer talks about competitors. Keyword difficulty doesn't exist in isolation. Looking at the sites already ranking can reveal what kind of content, authority, structure, and depth Google seems to expect for that particular topic.
💡 That’s a really good point.
I’ll definitely compare the competitors before choosing my keywords.
 
Back
Top