- Jul 1, 2026
- 6
- 40
I’ve spent some time trying different ways of making money online, and one thing I’ve learned is that the reality is quite different from what you often see on social media.
When I first started, I thought finding the right idea would be the hardest part. In reality, getting consistent traffic and turning that traffic into actual customers has been much more challenging.
I’ve tried working with content, affiliate marketing, and a few small online projects. Some experiments brought visitors but very few conversions, while others simply didn’t get enough traffic to make a difference. It was frustrating at times, but those failures helped me understand where I was going wrong.
Another lesson was not spending too much money before knowing whether an idea had potential. It’s easy to subscribe to several tools, purchase courses, or spend on advertising before having a clear plan. I now prefer testing an idea on a smaller scale first and looking at the actual response.
Consistency has also been important. There were periods when I expected results quickly and almost gave up. Eventually, I realized that building an online business is usually a process of testing, improving, and learning rather than finding one strategy that works forever.
I’m still experimenting and definitely don’t consider myself an expert. But I think these small lessons are more useful than chasing unrealistic income screenshots.
For anyone else building an online business, what’s one mistake you made early on that you would avoid if you were starting again?
When I first started, I thought finding the right idea would be the hardest part. In reality, getting consistent traffic and turning that traffic into actual customers has been much more challenging.
I’ve tried working with content, affiliate marketing, and a few small online projects. Some experiments brought visitors but very few conversions, while others simply didn’t get enough traffic to make a difference. It was frustrating at times, but those failures helped me understand where I was going wrong.
Another lesson was not spending too much money before knowing whether an idea had potential. It’s easy to subscribe to several tools, purchase courses, or spend on advertising before having a clear plan. I now prefer testing an idea on a smaller scale first and looking at the actual response.
Consistency has also been important. There were periods when I expected results quickly and almost gave up. Eventually, I realized that building an online business is usually a process of testing, improving, and learning rather than finding one strategy that works forever.
I’m still experimenting and definitely don’t consider myself an expert. But I think these small lessons are more useful than chasing unrealistic income screenshots.
For anyone else building an online business, what’s one mistake you made early on that you would avoid if you were starting again?