- Jul 2, 2026
- 9
- 30
I think one of the biggest mistakes when starting a profitable website is buying a domain first and figuring out the business later.
I would start by choosing a niche where people are already searching for products, services, or solutions.
For example, instead of choosing something very specific like BestBudgetTravelBags.com, I would prefer a brandable name that could eventually cover travel tools, guides, deals, and recommendations.
Depending on the niche, the website could eventually generate revenue through:
I’d rather have targeted visitors who are actually looking for a solution and are ready to compare or purchase something.
That means focusing on search intent, useful content, and conversion tracking instead of simply chasing traffic numbers.
Build a useful brand around a specific niche, grow its audience, and then add different monetization methods as the traffic increases.
I would start by choosing a niche where people are already searching for products, services, or solutions.
Choose a Domain That Can Grow
The domain should be simple, easy to remember, and broad enough to allow the website to expand.For example, instead of choosing something very specific like BestBudgetTravelBags.com, I would prefer a brandable name that could eventually cover travel tools, guides, deals, and recommendations.
Build Useful Content Around One Topic
Once the domain is ready, I’d focus on creating genuinely useful content:- Product comparisons
- Buying guides
- Tutorials
- “Best tools for…” articles
- Problem-solving guides
- Personal experiences and case studies
Monetize Multiple Ways
Affiliate marketing can be the main income source, but I wouldn't depend on just one affiliate program.Depending on the niche, the website could eventually generate revenue through:
- Affiliate commissions
- Display advertising
- Sponsored content
- Digital products
- Lead generation
- Email marketing
Focus on Traffic That Converts
Getting thousands of visitors isn't necessarily the main goal.I’d rather have targeted visitors who are actually looking for a solution and are ready to compare or purchase something.
That means focusing on search intent, useful content, and conversion tracking instead of simply chasing traffic numbers.
Build It Like a Real Asset
My thinking is simple: don't build a website just to place affiliate links.Build a useful brand around a specific niche, grow its audience, and then add different monetization methods as the traffic increases.